Every Thursday from 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., locals and visitors alike gather to connect with one another at the Key West Farmers’ Market. Located at the Truman Waterfront, this farmers’ market is an ideal way to spend a warm summer evening in Florida’s southernmost city. Whether you’re a local looking for fresh produce or a traveler looking for a unique experience, this market has something for everyone!
“Working locals are urged to take advantage of the many prepared items and stop at the market to enjoy a seaside picnic while they shop. Parking is plentiful and free with a resident parking permit. Visitors are encouraged to use the free pink Duval Loop Bus which stops close by. The new splash park and tours of the Ingham are also available in the park.” (Source)
The Key West Farmers’ Market was started by Jill Snodgrass and Sean Krikorian in the summer of 2019 when the Green Market at Bayview Park ended. As owners of the event firm Daily Plan-it they were already running the popular seasonal Key West Artisan Market at Higgs Beach. In the end this was a natural fit for Snodgrass and Krikorian.
“When the Green Market closed many locals were very vocal about wanting a farmers market option in their backyard.” Krikorian said, “We hope everyone shows up to support this and helps make sure it’s sustainable.” Well nearly four years later this market is booming with local support and many new mom and pop shops who use this to grow their business. This is a great asset to the Key West Island life and community.
An Array of Local Goods to Choose From
If you’re looking for fresh seafood, locally grown fruits, and vegetables, you’ve come to the right place. The Key West Farmers’ Market offers up a selection of fresh produce that is sure to please even the pickiest eater. Not only are all of these items grown locally, but they are also organic and GMO-free! In addition to fruits and veggies, there’s also an array of artisanal foods like jams, jellies, honey, sauces, and more. And don’t forget about the homemade baked goods—the sweet treats here are always popular!
Live Music & More
The market isn’t just about shopping; it’s also about being part of a vibrant community experience. You can find live music performances every week featuring some of Key West’s best local musicians. There are also artisans selling handmade jewelry and crafts, as well as food vendors offering up tasty dishes. It’s the perfect place to meet new people and enjoy some great conversation while taking in all that Key West has to offer.
10 Reasons To Support Local Farmers’ Markets While You Travel
Here are ten reasons why it’s important to support local farmers’ markets like this one in Key West.
- Farmers’ markets provide an opportunity to consume fresh, healthy food that is free of harmful chemicals and pesticides.
- By shopping at farmers’ markets, you are supporting local businesses and farmers.
- Farmers’ markets offer a wide variety of products that you may not be able to find at your local grocery store.
- The produce at farmers’ markets is typically picked at the peak of ripeness, which means it will taste better than the produce that has been shipped from afar.
- Shopping at farmers’ markets helps to reduce your carbon footprint by cutting down on transportation emissions.
- You can get to know the people who grow your food when you shop at farmers’ markets.
- Farmers’ markets typically take place in scenic locations, making them a great place to spend an afternoon with family or friends.
- By shopping at farmers’ markets, you are helping to preserve farmland and prevent urban sprawl.
- Patrons of farmers’ markets often find that they save money in the long run by eating healthier and avoiding processed foods.
- Shopping at farmers’ markets is simply fun! There’s nothing like strolling through a market on a beautiful day and taking in all the sights and smells of fresh fruits and vegetables, homemade breads, and so much more.
Add It To Your Itinerary
The next time you’re planning a vacation, be sure to include a visit to a local farmers’ market on your itinerary! Whether you’re looking for fresh produce or an exciting evening out on the town in Key West, the farmers’ market is where it’s at! Come join in on the fun every Thursday from 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at Truman Waterfront Park for live music performances, delicious food vendors and artisanal goods—all while supporting local businesses in our community. See you there! Check out the website here and the Facebook page here to stay up to date on events and times!
Thanks for reading all about Key West Farmer’s Market. Click here and you will find a lot more articles on the region.